Friday, November 18, 2011

The City of David: Then and Now


THE BIBLE PLACES

With a few free hours in Jerusalem, I headed to the City of David with a handful of old photographs that I had printed off. My goal was to get the "now" version. For the most part, I was not successful. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it greatly, but it means that things have changed so much that many times I couldn't even get to the same location where the photograph was taken (or figure out exactly where it was). But I had success in a couple of places, and my favorite is of the City of David.
View from Southwest, ca. 1915
Photo from the Jerusalem volume of the American Colony and Eric Matson Collection/Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, LC-DIG-matpc-05424.


 View from Southwest, August 23, 2005

For best effect, download the two photos in higher resolution in a PowerPoint presentation and flip back and forth between the photos. See how many differences you can detect.


Note:  Check out "The Bible Places" .. this is a remarkable link to information and amazing photos!